Monday, September 22, 2008

GRATITUDE!!!

"TROOP ET"

So, many of you know that we lost someone very dear to us earlier this year.  What I didn't mention, was that it was the Lupus that called her home. I'm probably like many of you who had little exposure to the disease.  All I knew is that an Elder in my mission had it. He had to tract with a hat on and ultimately had to stay and help out in the mission office due to his sensitivity to light.  Now I can that I know more about the disease, only because I've been able to see it in action.  But for those of you who don't know much, here are some of the facts:

  • Over 1.5 million Americans have lupus
  • More than 90% of people with lupus are women
  • In the United States, lupus is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans than Caucasians
  • Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can affect various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, heart, lungs, blood, kidneys and brain
  • For some people, lupus is a mild disease affection only a few organs. For others, it may cause serious and even life-threatening problems.
  • Studies suggest that more than 16,000 American develop lupus each year.
I finally signed up today on-line for the Lupus Walk. This will be Troop ET's 2nd year doing the walk. Anyways, last year one of the Aunties collected $400? last minute.  She asked co-workers and friends for whatever amount they could contribute...people donated $5, $10...etc. which all amounted to larger sum (aka "by small and simples things shall great things come to pass").  Anyways, I took time out from billable work to set up my page on the Lupus web-site.  And began sending out e-mails (you may have been one of the lovely recipients) for donations to our team.  I slacked on raising money last year, and was determined to be more proactive...unfortunately, I have a more personal reason for being proactive this year. But if anything this should be a sign of awareness of how quickly and devastating this disease can be. Last year Eme was walking with us, and this year we're walking in her memory. Anyways, this year's walk will be Sat. October 18th at Exposition Park in LA. I would like to invite you to join me, or donate in support of the cause as we Walk for Lupus Now!

I was prompted to write this blog as already I've received donations. I'm happy and overjoyed at the support (no matter how big or small).  We really can make a difference and I thank you all for whatever support you can give! It started off at $25...but can collectively amount to much more.  

You can support the cause by donating to the Lupus foundation as I walk not only in memory of a cherished friend, but for those who are currently suffering and hoping for a cure. Click here to go to my donation page. Ahe'ee :)

We love and miss you Eme!

2 comments:

Dezi & Brock said...

Wow, i wanna help... This sounds really cool.

Nakki said...

It feels really cool to. I've been so grateful for the donations that I've already received. I didn't know that it would actually feel this good :)